So. I have been on a gym kick lately.
I really don't enjoy the actual act of working out, but I sure do love how my body feels after I do it. There is nothing quite like the post-work out endorphins release to make you feel like a hundred bucks. When I got home from the gym last night, I knew that I wanted something fresh and healthy. I have already talked about all of the health benefits quinoa has and how much I love it in another blog post. This meal did not disappoint either.
Quinoa "Risotto" with Mushrooms & Spinach
Recipe adapted from Wednesday Food Blogging
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 lb fresh spinach, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, to taste.
**Notes: The original recipe called for shallots but I didn't have any, so I substituted the onion and garlic for it. Also, you can use mushroom or vegetable stock and omit the Parmesan cheese to make this meal vegan.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan. Saute onions and mushrooms in olive oil over high heat, until onions are clear and soft. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the white wine, and when the wine is absorbed, add the quinoa and the mushroom stock. Stir to combine and lower the heat as low as possible. Cover the pan and let simmer for 20-25 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the fresh spinach to the top, cover, and heat for 2-3 minutes or until spinach is cooked. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately, with Parmesan if desired.
This meal was perfect after a long workout at the gym.
What is your favorite post-gym dinner?