These look rather unassuming, I know. Don't let their weirdly shaped selves fool you though.
These spinach bites are the BOMB.COM.
They will change the lives of spinach haters. And people who hate stuffing.
Once, I randomly discovered this completely unassuming appetizer online while searching for food ideas for a birthday celebration for my roommate. We only made one batch for that party. They were gone in 10 minutes. (no joke). The people devouring them couldn't explain why they were so addicting.
They just are.
Do yourself a favor. Make these.... like now.
Dip them in marinara sauce for an easy appetizer.
Throw them over pasta in place of meatballs.
Eat them straight out of the oven that night.
...and straight out of the fridge from tupperware the next day.
Should I have admitted that?
Oh, and totally convince your guests that these are totally healthy. Don't mention the six eggs or the box of stuffing mix or the Parmesan cheese or the stick of butter. Spinach. That's all they need to know. ;)
Recipe credit to The Curvy Carrot
I'm posting the ingredient amounts to make one batch, about 18-24 spinach bites. However, I highly recommend that you double the recipe! And yes, it is necessary to really use 2 sticks of butter if you do so.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 clove)
- 2 10-oz packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 8 oz bag of herbed seasoned stuffing mix.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add onion and cook until the onions are translucent and soft, about 5 minutes or so.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool.
- In the meantime, remove excess water from thawed spinach by pressing it between paper towels. This will take a little bit of time. You can get a tonnnn of water out of frozen spinach. You do not need to cook the spinach!
- In a large bowl, combine the stuffing mix, spinach, eggs, Parmesan, salt and pepper, and onion/garlic/butter mixture. Combine well.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- One at a time, using your hands, roll the mixture into individual 1-inch balls. Place each one on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the balls for about 15-20 minutes, or until very slightly browned. (You can prepare the spinach bites a few hours before the party and stick them in the oven 20 minutes before guests are set to arrive. Your kitchen will smell wonderful and they will be able to enjoy them straight out of the oven!)
- Serve with warmed through marinara sauce and enjoy!
Are you sold yet?