Dear friends, meet your next lunch. Hi, lunch!
I made this salad just before I left for carb, gelato, and cannoli heaven in Italy for my big kid version of spring break -- I love teaching! (Lots of Italy spam to come on the blog. Get exciiiited!) I had a bunch of random ingredients I wanted to use up before I left, and a huge block of feta cheese sitting in my refrigerator that my roommate brought back from Greece. She is so kind for sharing it, isn't she?! I know that edamame typically only goes in Asian dishes, but trust me on this one. They add a sweet little crunch to the salad, but even better -- lots of protein. Did you know that just 1/2 a cup of shelled edamame has 11 grams of protein in it? Solid.
This salad is extremely quick and easy to whip together and travels really well. We don't have a refrigerator at my school for teacher use, so I have to bring snacks to work that won't go bad. In my opinion, the flavors actually get better if you let the salad warm up to room temperature a bit. I threw it over some arugula I needed to use up, but you could also top a grilled chicken breast with it as well! That actually sounds super delicious now that I think of it....
Mediterranean Edamame Salad:
Recipe adapted from Relish
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen shelled edamame
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and cut into halves
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 2 cups lettuce or greens
- To prepare vinaigrette: Combine vinegar, garlic and oregano, and whisk with a fork. Slowly add olive oil, and whisk well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To prepare salad: Thaw out edamame in a bowl filled with hot water, and then drain. Combine edamame, sun-dried tomatoes, onion, olives, feta, and vinagrette. Let marinate for 30 minutes (or longer, if you can stand it!)
- When ready to serve, serve salad over lettuce or greens.
Three steps and you're done. What can get easier than that? Enjoy!