Is there anything more quintessentially fall than the smell of banana bread wafting through your house? I don't believe there is, unless you add some pumpkin into that mix. I'm sorry for pushing my pumpkin obsession into your faces, like every.single.time I post a recipe. But I'm not really at all. Like we all like to say on Twitter, #sorryimnotsorry or #SINS!
This pumpkin banana bread tastes as good as the full-fat version, but has absolutely no butter, oil, or white sugar in it. I will always have a soft spot for good ol' traditional banana bread, but this recipe adds a healthy twist that I just had to try! Greek yogurt, pumpkin, and bananas keep this bread from becoming dense & dry. Yep, I said it - Greek yogurt! I love finding recipes that use my favorite snack to lighten-up old classics. This bread is also made with just about half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat flour, which makes it a breakfast loaf you can feel good about starting your day with.
Lightened-Up Pumpkin Banana Bread:
Recipe credit to Closet Cooking
Makes 1 loaf.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (or traditional whole wheat flour for a darker loaf)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 large over-ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Mix flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a bowl.
- Mix brown sugar, pumpkin, bananas, eggs, and Greek yogurt in a large bowl.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients into the wet, and then stir in pecans.
- Pour mixture into greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven until golden brown and a toothpick poked in center comes out clean, about 60 minutes.
This bread would be fabulous slathered with some of the homemade pumpkin butter I made last year. I don't discriminate though. Some good ol' Smart Balance butter was perfect on this too. YUM!
In other news, I'm currently in the process of reading Mindy Kaling's book, "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns)." It is SO FUNNY! She is so relatable and hilarious. If you need some comedic relief in your life, I definitely recommend this book.